Thursday, February 24, 2011

Walk a Paragraph

Living in new zealand is just like living anywhere else in the world, you wake up at nine in the morning to go to work and get off of work at five typical work scheldule for middle class citizens. Normally in a day I would wake up at around six in the morning have a shower, eat breakfast, and get ready for work.  And usually in the hour I had left before I had to go to work i would meet up with my friends at blenz the local coffee shop. we lived in a quiet part of town even though christchruch city had a large population. Me, john and ryan got used to seeing each other every morning for coffee. We would all have coffee talk about how our lives were going and other random chatter, then we would go to work. I work at an insurance firm all day i look over claims regarding insurance from large companies to injuries. I believe that eventually I wont have to do this anymore because i do make twenty four dollars an hour. Today was just like any other day, same routine, except the earthquake. It hit at about one which is normally where my day gets a little boring and repetative. But today oh, no i was just sitting in my office approving a claim when the earth started shaking I was very distraught, I could feel that the structural integrity of my building would not stand up to the quake for long. As the walls and floors shook violently i managed to get down the hallway to the exit in time. As i walked out into the street i could see people panicking, as once solid buildings crumbled apart. I watched many homes and buisnesses deconstruct from the force of the natural disaster. I ran towards my vehicle got in and put my seatbelt on tightly and drove through the broken streets towards my house. I was worried that my house may have been destroyed, as I rounded the corner i saw that my home hadnt been damaged but the dog house had fallen apart. It kinda made me intrigued on how the small house had been shaken into a few playwood walls and a roof. I walked in and looked around everything seemed normal until I saw the flatscreen i had bought broken on the floor. That kind of made my day a little worse, now I couldnt relax and watch some tv after that traumatizing event. I spent the next few hours cleaning up broken glass and household items. I made myself some fish and chips for dinner and spent the rest of my night talking to friends about their homes being damaged and what was going on around christchurch.

No comments:

Post a Comment